Woods Hole, Massachusetts

When my wife and I were planning our retirement, we made a "to do" list before we officially stopped working. We are loyal Whirlpool users and over the next 3 years we purchased 4 major Whirlpool appliances in preparation of having 8-12 years of problem free time as we go from a 2 income working family to 2 people on fixed incomes. I retired in December of 2011 and unfortunately, this did not pan out on 2 of the 4 appliances.

The washing machine in late February 2012, blew a transmission 23 months after purchase & 11 months after the warranty expired. Discussions with Whirlpool by phone were unsuccessful in getting the repair covered and ultimately this repair cost us $265.00.

In late April, 9 months after the warranty expired, the refrigerator iced up and had to be manually defrosted, despite being equipped with ADS. My family and I did the defrosting because it was a weekend and tech support was not available. On Monday the refrigerator was functioning so I was told to run it and see what happens and call the tech if it happens again.

I had done research on line and found many folks were having trouble with this model refrigerator and the main problem was the "Control Board", a board that is used in many Whirlpool refrigerators. I ordered 1 after the initial problem and waited for it to ice up again. On Sunday May 20th it repeated the same symptoms displayed and I put the board in myself, set it to the model number and it appears to have activated the Adaptive Defrost System and defrosted the ice jam. This computer board cost me $95.81.

I contacted Whirlpool about the 2 premature, post warranty expiration, issues in hopes of getting some reimbursement for the repairs. The Whirlpool rep told me that because there had not been a recall on either appliance that they could not reimburse me. They instead offered me a 6 month warranty extension on the dishwasher I bought last July.

I have been on several complaint websites and have seen the refrigerator control board repeatedly mentioned, all within the approximate 2-year time line as my control board failed. My refrigerator was a GB9FHDXWQ01 model, but the control board is used in many of their refrigerators. If this has happened to you, please contact me at rickbos2001@yahoo.com and hopefully together, we can get enough data to get a recall and get proper treatment from Whirlpool. Please include your refrigerator model number so I can verify the board is the one in question.

Review about: Whirlpool Washing Machine.

Had an Experience with Whirlpool?

Comments

WP2008

Hello Rickbos.My name is Melanie and I am a representative of Whirlpool.

We apologize about the frustration you have experienced with your APPLIANCE. If you would like us to look into this further, please provide your name, the name of the site you were contacted on (mybiggestcomplaint), your user ID name (Rickbos), your phone number, your address, the full model and serial number, and email the requested information to Whirlpool.Digital@whirlpool.com.

We would be happy to review your concerns further.Sincerely, Melanie.

rickbos