2.8
Ease of Use
Style and Design

I had the same problem with Whirlpool that you did.I bought a used model WED5500XWO, year old.

The control board burned and melted and damaged the Assembly Interface. I called Whirlpool and they connected me with the safety dept. They sent a tech.out,he sent pictures and called Whirilplool and reported the incident said they would call me back. The next day safety dept.

called back and because l bought it used they would not be responsibale. The concern l had was to report the incident. The person l talked to had a attitude of non concern and did not address the problem and said it was the plug. The plug had nothing to do with the problem.

It was the relay on the control board that has a spade connector on it.Whirlpool doesn't want

to hear about dangerous problems.

Review about: Whirlpool Wed5500xwo Dryer.

Reason of review: Safety issue.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I liked: Whirilplool.

Had an Experience with Whirlpool?

Comments

Lelouch
Collingswood, New Jersey, United States #1234626

Wow, that is bad!It seems to be a common theme among appliance fires - relays burning up their contacts, and/or solder joints going bad and causing arcing (typically happens on relays and connectors).

I'm technically inclined, and have seen it myself when investigating why things have stopped working.

You should report your incident to the Consumer Product and Safety Commission. (Reports go to their http://www.saferproducts.gov/ website)

That's a serious safety issue, especially considering that dryers are "set and forget" appliances!

P.S. So far, we've had two Whirlpool appliances nearly cause a fire in our house ... so yeah ...

Whirlpool has a pretty big safety/quality problem.

Just look up the problems with their dishwashers catching fire!There are thousands of complaints, but very few recalls.