15K views

Update by user Jun 13, 2013

The technician who came to check out my washer lid ordered a new lid, both hinges, and bearings. The parts were back-ordered, but they are supposed to ship out to my home tomorrow. The Whirlpool technician is currently scheduled to come in to install the parts on Monday. Incidentally, the technician told me he has seen cases were some owners have drilled a hole through the broken lid and mended it with a bolt. I am not sure if this is a viable fix, but I may try with the old lid once the new one is replaced. I expect that I might have the same problem down the road with the new lid unless Whirlpool has changed the design of the hinges. In my opinion, the hinges have WAY too much tension on them for the flimsy plastic frame.

Again, Whirlpool finally came through, but the overall cost to them is going to be over $500.00. I appreciate Whirlpool's Amber for her professionalism in taking care of this, but I also understand the frustration that others are having with their initial customer service contact.

I am hoping that the new lid/hinge assembly has somehow been updated so that this will no longer be a problem. Good luck to others who are having the same problem.

Update by user May 22, 2013

Whirlpool eventually came through and took care of our problem. Amber called me a few days following her post (below) and she sent a technician to my house to replace the lid on my washer at no charge to me. I appreciate the professionalism that Amber displayed in taking care of this issue.

Original review posted by user May 13, 2013

My wife and I purchased a Cabrio washer from Lowes a little less than two years ago (factory warranty is twelve months). Our machine came with the see through glass lid. It turns out that the plastic frame that attaches the lid to the washing machine is a very poor design, as the spring loaded hinges put too much tension upon the plastic frame and it WILL crack/break over time. The replacement lid costs about $200.00+, leaving little incentive to repair the machine.

I just spoke with two Whirlpool representatives by telephone about this issue, one in Tennessee and one in Michigan. I spent several hours before my call researching this problem, and found that it is a known problem with this product. Just one example of the research I found can be seen at: http://www.pissedconsumer.com/reviews-by-company/whirlpool/whirlpool-cabrio-horrible-product-customer-service-20120403309575.html

Of course, I told the Whirlpool rep. about my research, and she told me (paraphrased)..."We don't recommend our customers to use the internet to research our products, unless it is a Whirlpool approved site." I literally thought I might fall out of my chair laughing!! Later in the call, the Whirlpool rep could not find the part number for the call, so I provided her with the number that I found at a "non-approved" Whirlpool site. Turns out, it was the correct part number (imagine that).

After being placed on hold, told to dig up the serial number, etc. I was told that this was a known problem, but in the grand scheme of the number of units sold, Whirlpool considered it to be an "isolated incident." I thanked Whirlpool for wasting my time and money, and vowed to never purchase another Whirlpool product again....

OF ALL THE COMPANIES THAT I HAVE DEALT WITH DURING MY 30+ YEARS AS A CONSUMER, THIS WAS THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE I HAVE EVER HAD.

Review about: Whirlpool Washing Machine.

Had an Experience with Whirlpool?

Comments

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada #1316265

I agree this has been a big problem but i have a solution.I had also bought another lid and it started to crack as well.

I also reinforced the lid to fix the problem for a year but it also broke. My solution is quite simple. The wire hinge that holds the lid in place goes into a square opening that is spring tensioned which is what was causing the lid to crack. the tension on the spring is to strong for this purpose.

I simply grinded down the square end to a round shape so that when you lift the lid up or down the spring tensioner is not activated.

The rounding of the hinge let's you lift the lid freely and close the lid freely.Now this does not have a spring tensioner aiding the lid up so be careful when closing the lid but this fix has been great and will no longer need a lid to replace.

my lid is broken on my cabrio just as all of you have stated and i just got off with customer service apparently a certain percentage of people have to complain before they care! can everyone who reads this please file a formal complaint over the phone or through the online chat.

Same problem.I have had 3 lids on my Cabrio.

Whirlpool was nice enough to eat half the cost of the first lid.Wow, what customer service after 3 hours of denying there were any problems with this obviously defective part.

I paid full price of approximately $250 for the 2nd lid. Lowe's paid for the 3rd lid after "putting pressure" on Whirlpool and getting nowhere.

I now have a washing machine with yet another broken lid at the hinge sitting in my kitchen, having been replaced by a fantastic SPEED QUEEN, waiting to be taken back to Lowe's and dropped off at the return desk and telling them to give me my money back and stop selling Whirlpool machines.

Either way, I will be leaving the machine at Lowe's for them to dispose of.NEVER WHIRLPOOL-EVER AGAIN IN MY LIFETIME FOR ANY REASON AT ALL.

THey could not give me appliances for free at this point.Pathetic excuse for a company not to cover for their screw ups.

Same problem.Our lid on our Whirlpool Cabrio Platinum washer has broke twice now.

For the price we paid for this washer we could have bought two of another brand and been better off.I couldn't find any recalls for the lids, hard to believe by the number of complaints people have placed on line.

Houston, Texas, United States #1298342

The lid on my Whirlpool washing machine broke.I called Whirlpool and was quoted a price of $256.00 for a new lid.

I might as well buy a new washing machine (but it won't be a Whirlpool). I haven't had this machine very long. I am very disappointed in the poor quality of this product.

I will not buy another Whirlpool product.Apparently this is a known issue.

Fort Worth, Texas, United States #1271360

Whirlpool will say a solid lid does not exist but it does!I replaced my broken glass lid with the solid metal lid.

It works like a champ and looks great!You will need the following:

Lid - WP8572026

2 hinges - WP8563964

4 screws - WPW10119828

For some reason Whirlpool will not suggest this but it works great, fits perfectly,and looks great!

Somewhere there is a video with a man showing how to repair the lid.My brother in law watched and did what he said and it does work.

The only thing is, we don't lift the lid all the way back, we found a plastic rod that we use to prop the lid open to load and unload...it works and there is no use to keep replacing the lid as it is defective.This is the second one for my sister and it's the plastic hinges that are defective...they won't hold the glass lid for long.

Sumter, South Carolina, United States #1236932

THis is a problem Have been able to use the washer another year by puttung brick weight on lid. Today it is totally gone. I am about ready for a tub and scrub board.

Kensington, Prince Edward Island, Canada #1222883

I'm in Prince Edward Island Canada.We have had the same problem twice.

I've had the lid replaced and it was good for 6 months until the lid broke again. I am working with Sears (because we bought the warranty). Although, they want to replace the lid again and are saying that the manufacturer is denying there is a problem.

Makes no sense.

Brooklyn, New York, United States #1222032

Michael O Just got off the phone with WHIRLPOOL customer care (?) department.I am sure they are aware of the design flaw in the Cabrio Washer lid.

Many people are experiencing the same break. The lid hinge cannot support the weight of the door. I originally sent an e-mail to customer service many months ago. I called today, because I never received a reponse.

Today I was told that I was "eligable" for the following; I send $300, they send me the "repair kit" along with a 1 Year warranty. Really??? I do not think so. My intention is to spread this message to as many consumersa as I can.

Do not buy Whirlpool products.My next call is to the store I made the purchase from