Whirlpool Cabrio washer cracked lid Model # WTW7800XW2
My husband AND I purchased our Whirlpool Cabrio washer and dryer from Lowe's in 2011 (Model # WTW7800XW2). About 10 months after I purchased this I noticed a hairline crack on the right side of the frame that holds the glass top near the hinge. I didn't think to much of this, I figured it may have been screwed to tight when manufactured. A few days ago I noticed the lid wasn't sitting flat and saw the crack had gotten much worse. The Cabrio lid is made with a heavy piece of glass inside a plastic frame allowing you to see through the top. It's pretty obvious that the plastic frame is not durable enough to hold the heavy piece of glass.
I called Lowe's and they told me that because I didn't purchase their extended warranty that I should contact Whirlpool. I called Whirlpool and was told it was a "cosmetic defect" because the washer still works. They also told me my washer is outside of it's warranty so they would schedule someone to fix it but I was 100% responsible for the repair costs (which I found out will be $400). Out of curiosity I googled this issue online and found numerous people complaining about this exact same issue. When I told this to the customer service agent at Whirlpool, she said there weren't enough people to recall the product. Why should I spend $400 when it was a design flaw that caused this problem? I found out the year after my washer was made, the lid was redesigned with a much sturdier frame, Coincidence? I think not!
I haven't had any problems Thus far with the dryer but with the experience I've had with this washer will make me never by another Whirlpool product again. I can't believe they won't stand by their product! Obviously they know this has been a major complaint on this model from 2011 because it was changed the following year. I have purchased many Whirlpool appliances over the years but dealing with this issues has been frustrating. I'm so disappointed in Whirlpool and their lack of integrity!
More Review Details
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Whirlpool Wtw7800Xw Top Load Washing Machine
- Review category
- Appliances and Electronics
You May Also Like
- "14 months after purchasing my PIC units, one of them came totally apart. Customer service tells me "sorry it only comes with a 12 month warranty. Offered me a discount..."
- "In the fall of 2013, my Whirlpool cooking stove from Lowes was delivered. It came with free installation. We make home-cooked meals, bake bread, and make everything from..."
- "Dome melted and contacted company. Was offered replacement at a price and willing to pay but never received reply. Sent my shipping info but contact person said wasn't received. sent..."
- "Since obtaining business service internet over the past 45 days, our connection drops daily and several times during the day. I have called customer support twice to no avail. The..."
- "Just in case you're considering Champion for a new patio door, I'm here to warn you to find another brand of door in the landfill, and have it installed in..."
- " Frank's Auto Credit is a Family Owned and Operated, Independent Buy-Here Pay-Here Dealer that was established in 1995 by Frank M. Lynch. For nearly 20 Years Frank's Auto Credit..."
- "Dear Mr. Jim Millerborg(Sam's Club; Wichita Kansas 316-945-3010)My name is Kimberly Vu-Childrey and I'm just one of Sam's customers. I have purchased and IPod-touch on 01/18/2010, with the 2yr Service..."
- "Ordered the wireless head set from Mobstub online. They provided me a tracking number abs said it was sent through usps. After never receiving, i contacted usps. They said the..."
- "i bought a single wide Friendship,in 1997..we totally loved that place.. However after losing my job in 2002,GT started to bug me sayign how delinquent we..."