Whirlpool Cabrio washer cracked lid Model # WTW7800XW2

My husband AND I purchased our Whirlpool Cabrio washer and dryer from Lowe's in 2011 (Model # WTW7800XW2). About 10 months after I purchased this I noticed a hairline crack on the right side of the frame that holds the glass top near the hinge. I didn't think to much of this, I figured it may have been screwed to tight when manufactured. A few days ago I noticed the lid wasn't sitting flat and saw the crack had gotten much worse. The Cabrio lid is made with a heavy piece of glass inside a plastic frame allowing you to see through the top. It's pretty obvious that the plastic frame is not durable enough to hold the heavy piece of glass.

I called Lowe's and they told me that because I didn't purchase their extended warranty that I should contact Whirlpool. I called Whirlpool and was told it was a "cosmetic defect" because the washer still works. They also told me my washer is outside of it's warranty so they would schedule someone to fix it but I was 100% responsible for the repair costs (which I found out will be $400). Out of curiosity I googled this issue online and found numerous people complaining about this exact same issue. When I told this to the customer service agent at Whirlpool, she said there weren't enough people to recall the product. Why should I spend $400 when it was a design flaw that caused this problem? I found out the year after my washer was made, the lid was redesigned with a much sturdier frame, Coincidence? I think not!

I haven't had any problems Thus far with the dryer but with the experience I've had with this washer will make me never by another Whirlpool product again. I can't believe they won't stand by their product! Obviously they know this has been a major complaint on this model from 2011 because it was changed the following year. I have purchased many Whirlpool appliances over the years but dealing with this issues has been frustrating. I'm so disappointed in Whirlpool and their lack of integrity!

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Helpful? 5 Yes 5 2 No 2
Had the same issue 10 Yes 10
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

May 15, 2015 #984810

I have a brand new lid for this model. are you interested in buying?

Sep 14, 2015 #1033386 Bellefonte, Pennsylvania

How much and is it a glass r metal lid? We have had two lids warp on us now and whirlpool will not do a thing because it is out of warranty. The first time it was replaced because it was within the 12 months. Now it lid will not even lock unless you hold it down and the glass is clear out of the frame in the one corner. All the said is thank you and we will take our comments to the design team and help schedule you for service. We will also never buy whirlpool again.

Mar 03, 2015 #953430 Wayne, Pennsylvania

My Whirlpool Cabrio washer lid began to have problems in the 2nd to 3rd year of use. The lid cracked and the glass has lifted almost completely out of the frame on one side. Currently, when opening the lid it rubs against the control panel and is causing damage to the panel as it catches on the panel each time the lid is opened and closed.
I had a certified Whirlpool repair company come out last September and paid $95.39 to have them tell us we needed a new lid. The new lid would run $242.87. I haven’t replaced it yet as I didn’t want to spend almost $350.00 for another lid to experience the same issue in another 2-3 year time frame. Has Whirlpool corrected this problem?
I can’t believe after all of the complaints that have been filed and posted about this obviously poorly designed product that a company such as Whirlpool won’t stand behind their name and issue a recall for a poorly made/designed part.
I’m not only a homeowner but, I’m also an interior designer and I often specify and recommend appliances to my clients. If something isn’t done to rectify this situation, I will never again purchase nor recommend a Whirlpool product.
I’ve never been so disappointed with an appliance.

Mar 02, 2015 #953144

Yep- they all crack in exactly the same place. Whirlpool does not acknowledge any design deficiencies with this. They're engineering is a joke. A piece of 1/2" aluminum angle epoxied to the underside will fix it. Looks like *** but it works.

not fair 2

Sep 15, 2014 #870489

Same thing here as of 9/15/2014, however even Lowes extended warranty won't cover it. BS

also unhappy

Jun 23, 2014 #831123 Hilliard, Ohio

I had the same isdue, Ashley. I called and taalked to Whirlpool ande-maioed back and forth with a representstive there. Whirlpool refused to do anyhing. No one should buy this washer. And, I would not bother to followup with the rep who offered her services. It will only add to your frustrations.

1 0 Reply
pissed off

Jun 14, 2014 #827452

I had the exact same problem twice (once at 11 months and again appox. 15 months after replacing the first lid). I'm now debating just getting another washer - not a Whirlpool. Since it will cost me over $400 to fix the lid this time and Whirlpool customer service has been totally useless and almost rude.

2 0 Reply

Jan 15, 2014 #773830

Hi chasidy125. My name is Ashley and I am a representative of Whirlpool. We truly regret to hear of the frustrations you have experienced with your washer. If you would like us to look into this matter further, please email us directly at Whirlpool.Digital@Whirlpool.com with your name, phone number, address, complete model and serial numbers, and reference number 140115. Thank you, Ashley

Jun 22, 2014 #830635 Houston, Texas

Instead, why not issue a recall - you know it is a problem! I am on my third in three years. Look at how many replacement lids you've sold. Come on this is totally unacceptable. If Whirlpool does not do something, I can assure I, and others, will not buy another product from you (or related, off brand, product).

1 0 Reply
Want the old Maytag dependabil

Jul 27, 2014 #846953 Des Moines, Iowa

We have the exact same model (WTW7800XW2) and purchases about the same time at Lowes and we are now on our second broken lid. Come on Whirlpool, stand behind your product or at least create a more sturdy lid. This will be my first and last Whirlpool. We only bought it because we loved our old Maytag so much we thought the quality may have carried through.

0 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.