Whirlpool Cabrio washer cracked lid (Model WTW7800XW2)
Update added by user Oct 20, 2013
Submitted by Carrie Sitarski - firstname.lastname@example.org
Original review posted by user Oct 20, 2013
We purchased our Whirlpool Cabrio washer and dryer from Lowe's in 2011. (Whirlpool Cabrio Washer Model WTW7800XW2). Before our one year warranty expired, I noticed the lid was starting to creak every time I opened and closed it. I didn't think much about it until after approximately 14 months when I noticed the first crack across the lid. The Cabrio lid is comprised of a heavy piece of glass inside a plastic frame allowing the top to be see through. The plastic frame is not durable enough to hold the heavy piece of glass. Anyway, I noticed a crack near the hinge but the washer continued to operate okay.
Then at about a year and a half the other side cracked. Again the washer still functioned but I had to press down on the lid to get the lid lock to engage. I called Lowe's who researched my purchase date and handed me over to Whirlpool. I called Whirlpool and was told it was a "cosmetic defect" since the washer still worked. When I googled my issue online, I found numerous people complaining about the exact same issue. When I mentioned this to Whirlpool, they stated that it wasn't enough people to recall the product. Ironically the year after my washer was made, the lid was redesigned with a much sturdier frame.
After being told by Whirlpool that they would not fix my washer, they referred me to a local appliance repair company. When I called them, they quoted me approximately $500 to replace the lid. After continuing to read complaints online, other consumers that had their washer lid replaced complained that it cracked again. I decided not to fix my lid and invest that much more in my washer.
We hit the two year mark and the lid has continued to crack on both sides. In fact, the lid is almost completely detached. When I open it, I have to place a towel behind the lid so it doesn't open all the way. It will most certainly detach if I allow it to fully open. My washer does continue to operate but I have at least a 2 inch gap from the lid to the washer while it's running. I could actually stick my hand in the washer while it's running if I wanted too. I again called Whirlpool to see if I could talk to a manager or someone higher up. The customer service lady I spoke with said I had previously spoken to a manager and they decided that my washer still only had a "cosmetic defect".
I will never by another Whirlpool product again. I can't believe they won't stand by their product. Clearly they have documented that there is an issue/defect with the cabrio glass lid from 2011 since it was changed the following year. Such disappointment in Whirlpool! Waiting for the lid to completely detach so I can scrap this washer and buy and LG.
More Review Details
|Style and Design|
|Product or Service Quality|
|Exchange, Refund and Cancellation Policy|
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Whirlpool Wtw7800Xw Top Load Washing Machine
- Review category
- Appliances and Electronics
You May Also Like
- "I bought this refrigerator after hurricane Sandy destroyed my home. Within 6 moths I began to notice rust like spots. I called then later I sent an e mail They..."
- "Stove Range Model #FGFL79DBE Purchased from Lowe's December 2005. Used the broiler for the very first time on May 9, 2010 and the stove caught on fire - insulation..."
- "My husband and I had been researching fridges for the past several months, and last week came across an 'open box' Samsung at Best Buy that was within range of..."
- "When I returned home Thursday afternoon my internet service via Sudden Link was inoperative.After 3 attempts at resetting modems and routers I figured it was..."
- "We got a new roof that is now in our falling piece by piece in to our yard. This is not the first time either. September 20th is when the..."
- "I bought Rosetta Stone's Spanish download for Mac for 250 bucks. It crashed constantly, was hard to use, and they're constantly trying to get you to "upgrade" to more expensive..."
- "What a rip! Ordered beautiful arrangement from what I thought was a “family owned business”. The arrangement was delivered on time. The service train crashes at this..."
- "You are selling a product called syringe pens. In light of all of the heroin overdoses it is highly inappropriate. Its one thing for a doctor to use it as..."
- "I must say I have seen some complicated scams before but this one ranks right up there. Do not do any work with this so called media group called Zillion..."