Whirlpool Cabrio washer cracked lid (Model WTW7800XW2)

409 of 925 Whirlpool reviews

Update added by user Oct 20, 2013

Submitted by Carrie Sitarski - carriesitarski@cinci.rr.com

Original review posted by user Oct 20, 2013

We purchased our Whirlpool Cabrio washer and dryer from Lowe's in 2011. (Whirlpool Cabrio Washer Model WTW7800XW2). Before our one year warranty expired, I noticed the lid was starting to creak every time I opened and closed it. I didn't think much about it until after approximately 14 months when I noticed the first crack across the lid. The Cabrio lid is comprised of a heavy piece of glass inside a plastic frame allowing the top to be see through. The plastic frame is not durable enough to hold the heavy piece of glass. Anyway, I noticed a crack near the hinge but the washer continued to operate okay.

Then at about a year and a half the other side cracked. Again the washer still functioned but I had to press down on the lid to get the lid lock to engage. I called Lowe's who researched my purchase date and handed me over to Whirlpool. I called Whirlpool and was told it was a "cosmetic defect" since the washer still worked. When I googled my issue online, I found numerous people complaining about the exact same issue. When I mentioned this to Whirlpool, they stated that it wasn't enough people to recall the product. Ironically the year after my washer was made, the lid was redesigned with a much sturdier frame.

After being told by Whirlpool that they would not fix my washer, they referred me to a local appliance repair company. When I called them, they quoted me approximately $500 to replace the lid. After continuing to read complaints online, other consumers that had their washer lid replaced complained that it cracked again. I decided not to fix my lid and invest that much more in my washer.

We hit the two year mark and the lid has continued to crack on both sides. In fact, the lid is almost completely detached. When I open it, I have to place a towel behind the lid so it doesn't open all the way. It will most certainly detach if I allow it to fully open. My washer does continue to operate but I have at least a 2 inch gap from the lid to the washer while it's running. I could actually stick my hand in the washer while it's running if I wanted too. I again called Whirlpool to see if I could talk to a manager or someone higher up. The customer service lady I spoke with said I had previously spoken to a manager and they decided that my washer still only had a "cosmetic defect".

I will never by another Whirlpool product again. I can't believe they won't stand by their product. Clearly they have documented that there is an issue/defect with the cabrio glass lid from 2011 since it was changed the following year. Such disappointment in Whirlpool! Waiting for the lid to completely detach so I can scrap this washer and buy and LG.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Had the same issue 94 Yes 94
409 of 925 Whirlpool reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan
Mike Margolis

Nov 26 #1246109 West Hartford, Connecticut, United States

As others have said, I just replaced the glass lid and plastic frame with the all metal one. Dawn P's instructions below are 100% correct, I rewrite them here for everyone to find easily, and with a few comments of my own:
Call 877 477 7278 for appliancepartspros and order the following Whirlpool parts (prices as of November 2016):
1 lid part number WP8572026 (AP6013408) for $119.81
2 hinges WP8563964 (AP6004844) for $6.17 each
4 screws WPW10119828 (AP6015313) for $1.97 each
Total $140.03 plus $8.95 shipping, grand total $148.98 Note that it does not say that this lid will fit model 7800, but the lid will fit this model. The parts came to me in two business days for the cheapest shipping. They came in two boxes, and the fedex guy only left one at first, freaked me out a little bit. NOTE that you MUST BUY new screws and hinges for the new lid, the old ones will NOT WORK. You need a Torx20 bit to remove the old hinge screws, and a Phillips head screwdriver to put on the new lid. To remove the old lid, open the lid, and remove the torx20 screws and pull the lid straight up off of the hinges. Then remove the hinges from the washer by pulling them toward the inside of the washer. Leave the rubber gaskets (around the hinges) on the washer. (Note mine were white plastic washers, not rubber. Put them on the new hinges between the washer and the new lid) On the new lid, install one hinge with two
... Show more

Joy Albano

Dec 03 #1249469

Success! We ordered all the parts listed above (they arrived in one day) and my husband just finished removing and installing new lid. We suffered through almost 2 years of a lid that continued to crack worse each week and that I had to hold down to get the lock to engage. After reading online last weekend about someone's glass lid finally shattering all over the laundry room, we were out looking for a new washer-but couldn't find any that weren't made by Whirlpool under someone else's name or had more plastic parts that we refused to ever purchase again. Somehow I found this posting last Sunday, ordered parts on Monday, package areived on Tuesday, and we decided to tackle the job on Saturday morning. It was so quick that we need not have waited. Get exactly the parts listed. One person can do it, but it helped to have another person to hold the white plastic gasket circle thingy with needlenose pliers when you are inserting the second side hinge. Mike, we want to send you a Starbucks or Amazon gift card or buy you a new boat or something! Thank you so much! Kappajra@gmail.com

Oct 18 #1228544 Rock Hill, South Carolina, United States

I've had this same problem, called Whirlpool, talked to Warranty, no one cares. I am currently on Lid #4, it is beginning to separate and crack JUST AS my others and now my extended warranty is expired. To replace the lid costs just as much as a regular machine. I will not be purchasing Whirlpool either and will be alerting everyone I know of all of these reviews

Oct 09 #1224367 Springboro, Ohio, United States

I had the same exact problem! You messed up Whirlpool, not stand behind you error!! Y
Greenda@yahoo.com

Sep 09 #1210127 Valleyfield, Quebec, Canada

Same thing happened to me,on my second lid with same result,whirlpool should be ashamed of themselves,not standing behind their products,first time cost me 500 dollars.

Aug 29 #1205364 Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States

Fixed ours by mounting a piece of aluminium angle iron that cost 5 dollars. We mounted it all the way down putting screws on either side of cracks! Works perfect! Will how ever never buy whirlpool again hope this helps others!

Aug 08 #1196109 Woodstock, Ontario, Canada

I have the same thing with my Cabrio Washer WTW7800XWG. The rim around the glass is cracked and the glass raised. I am Still using the washer and trying to get a replacement lid but have not been successful.
Evelyn Costigan

csitarski

Jun 29 #1179382 Cleves, Ohio, United States

Update - after having the first replaced, my second lid is now completely cracked at the screws. Obviously a design flaw with the lid! Hoping whirlpool steps up and replaces it again. I even took extra care in raising and lowering the second lid after the first one fracked.

Apr 04 #1139232

I have had my lid replaced twice and today noticed it is cracking again. I will never buy another whirlpool washer again. This washer was too expensive to be such a piece of junk. The first two times it was under warranty. This time I guess I am just out of luck. These washers (WTW7800XW3) should be recalled. I also had to have another repair as soon as they replaced the first lid.

Mar 12 #1126312

I have the same *** problem. Piece of ***. This will be the second lid I have replaced. Everything else works great. *** poor design. I called and complained the first time but who cares about their costumers. Not in American companies write up anymore.

Mar 07 #1123592

I totally agree with your problem as I have the same.
Also on lid #2 and it is broken.
This obviously is a design flaw and their engineering department does not want to stand behind their product.
This will be the last time I purchase from them.

Mar 06 #1122948

lid number two broken. just ordered metal lid,hinges and screws. No more Whirlpool for me. Thanks for posting metal lid info>

Mar 04 #1122052

I'm going on lid number 3. Only have had the washer for 4 years.

Jan 31 #1103825

I am with you...exactly the same issue...I did by an extended warranty from the company I bought it from and thety fixed it the first time free of charge...the same thing happened again 1 year later...now the machine is garbage...it is disgusting Whirlpool is not standing behind this clearly a design flaw...Whirlpool jerked me around the same way...I hope they go bankrupt and I will never buy another whirlpool product and delight in spreading the word about the garbage they produce and the terrible way they treat customers.

Jan 16 #1095650

Can I just reuse the hinges and screws that are on my current machine or do I have to order them too along with the new lid? Thanks

Jan 14 #1094707

I received the replacement parts from the Parts Dr. but will most likely return even though this new metal lid would fit and resolve the issue. Found another way to fix since the plastic piece is completely broken on the left side where all the tension is located that causes this problem and defect. I plan on using the original lid after I broke off the remaining plastic so the cover fits tight and connected a hook to keep the cover up when needed to put in or take out clothes in washer. The lock still works perfectly and the tension bracket on the left is in the up position permanently but not connected to the lid! I have tested with many loads without an issue..This should last...

Jan 12 #1093418

I went through one glass lid already and purchased the metal lid with screws and hinges from the Parts Dr. Waiting for another screw and hinges on backorder but should be here arriving in the next day or so for approx. $116.00 with shipping.
Looks like it will fit perfectly as other posts mention and will let you know.

TODD

Jan 20 #1098132 Longview, Texas, United States

THIS FIX WORKED WE USED IT ON A WASHER WE HAVE IN OUR SHOP FOR REPAIRS, SURE BEATS A 300 LID!! THANKS FOR POSTING THIS

Nov 16, 2015 #1064788

Same problem. Purchased WTW7800XW4 in September of 2011, lid broke in January 2014, now it's broken again. I am so disappointed that Whirl Pool would treat customers like this over a piece of plastic that they could offer to replace with the metal version. Please stay away from all Whirl Pool products. They obviously do not value their customers or stand by their products.

1-20 of 70 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact PissedConsumer.com

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Whirlpool. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

×
You were reading a complaint about Whirlpool.
Filing a new complaint about
×