Whirlpool Cabrio washer cracked lid (Model WTW7800XW2)
Update added by user Oct 20, 2013
Submitted by Carrie Sitarski - firstname.lastname@example.org
Original review posted by user Oct 20, 2013
We purchased our Whirlpool Cabrio washer and dryer from Lowe's in 2011. (Whirlpool Cabrio Washer Model WTW7800XW2). Before our one year warranty expired, I noticed the lid was starting to creak every time I opened and closed it. I didn't think much about it until after approximately 14 months when I noticed the first crack across the lid. The Cabrio lid is comprised of a heavy piece of glass inside a plastic frame allowing the top to be see through. The plastic frame is not durable enough to hold the heavy piece of glass. Anyway, I noticed a crack near the hinge but the washer continued to operate okay.
Then at about a year and a half the other side cracked. Again the washer still functioned but I had to press down on the lid to get the lid lock to engage. I called Lowe's who researched my purchase date and handed me over to Whirlpool. I called Whirlpool and was told it was a "cosmetic defect" since the washer still worked. When I googled my issue online, I found numerous people complaining about the exact same issue. When I mentioned this to Whirlpool, they stated that it wasn't enough people to recall the product. Ironically the year after my washer was made, the lid was redesigned with a much sturdier frame.
After being told by Whirlpool that they would not fix my washer, they referred me to a local appliance repair company. When I called them, they quoted me approximately $500 to replace the lid. After continuing to read complaints online, other consumers that had their washer lid replaced complained that it cracked again. I decided not to fix my lid and invest that much more in my washer.
We hit the two year mark and the lid has continued to crack on both sides. In fact, the lid is almost completely detached. When I open it, I have to place a towel behind the lid so it doesn't open all the way. It will most certainly detach if I allow it to fully open. My washer does continue to operate but I have at least a 2 inch gap from the lid to the washer while it's running. I could actually stick my hand in the washer while it's running if I wanted too. I again called Whirlpool to see if I could talk to a manager or someone higher up. The customer service lady I spoke with said I had previously spoken to a manager and they decided that my washer still only had a "cosmetic defect".
I will never by another Whirlpool product again. I can't believe they won't stand by their product. Clearly they have documented that there is an issue/defect with the cabrio glass lid from 2011 since it was changed the following year. Such disappointment in Whirlpool! Waiting for the lid to completely detach so I can scrap this washer and buy and LG.
More Review Details
|Product or Service Quality|
|Style and Design|
|Exchange, Refund and Cancellation Policy|
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Whirlpool Wtw7800Xw Top Load Washing Machine
- Review category
- Appliances and Electronics
You May Also Like
- "I purchased a 50-inch TV during the first shopping event at Walmart Thanksgiving Day for the one hour guarantee. Upon arriving home (2-hours away from the store), I entered..."
- "My husband AND I purchased our Whirlpool Cabrio washer and dryer from Lowe's in 2011 (Model # WTW7800XW2). About 10 months after I purchased this I noticed a hairline crack..."
- "Purchased a Whirlpool top loading washer a few years ago. The top lid has cracked and forces us to hold open the lid with a bungee cord and to..."
- "I had been a Pampers user for my first child and even with my second child. By suggestion I bought a box of Luvs Diapers and I must be honest..."
- "What a rip! Ordered beautiful arrangement from what I thought was a “family owned business”. The arrangement was delivered on time. The service train crashes at this..."
- "I must say I have seen some complicated scams before but this one ranks right up there. Do not do any work with this so called media group called Zillion..."
- "I purchased this "sport" windscreen from an Ebay seller from Italy for an XDiavel. BEWARE!!! The bolts that came with it are MUCH too short, and are black steel..."
- "I received the order for 4 x Samsung Level U PRO BLACK after 2 weeks. I have contact them by e-mail because this company does not have a phone number..."
- "SO… YOU ARE LOAY TAWEEL IN MIAMI AND ABU AZMI IN CHICAGO… looks like a *** artist. Sunday, October 23 afternoon I received many messages by Whatsapp from Loay..."