We have a Whirlpool Duet washer/dryer combination that we have been totally satisfied with for over six years.My wife has recommended the products to many of our friends who have subsequently bought them.
Recently my wife pointed out that the handle on the washer was loose. It turns out the plastic around one of the screws had cracked as shown in the picture below. It appears to me that this is clearly the result of a design & engineering fault since the top screw is set so closely to the corner. This design defect has resulted in the plastic breaking from the normal stress of opening & closing the door.
It’s ironic that such a minor, but functionally important, part should fail less than half way through the expected service life of the appliance itself. Based on this I fully expected to have the replacement part shipped to me on a no charge basis. I called Whirlpoo; Customer Support to order the part and discovered that they wanted to charge me $31 plus shipping & handling. While I understand that Whirlpool has a one year warranty on parts I believe there should be an exception when the problem results from faulty design and engineering.
I made this point to the Customer Service representative to no avail. I then asked to be escalated to her Manager. He was equally obdurate. When I asked to be transferred to his superior he at first resisted but finally agreed to my request to have him email me the name and contact details as well as his own name.
The response I received did not include any of the information I had asked for. I replied asking for the information I had requested. Incidentally I discovered that consumer complaints for Canadian customers are handled by staff in the U.S. Over two weeks later I received a message saying that they refused to accept any responsibility.
I’ll leave it to you to judge whether this meets the standard for Customer Service support at Whirlpool.It certainly does not meet mine.
More Review Details
- Product or service
- Whirlpool Duet Washing Machine
- Review category
- Appliances and Electronics
You May Also Like
- "This refrigerator is quite cheap, but don't this let the price fool you. The quality of the stainless steel is the worst. After 3 months since we purchased it, front..."
- "I had contacted Whirlpool a few months ago about my Cabrio washer lid plastic cracking. They told me there was nothing they could do since 1-it is out of..."
- "In October 2009 we decided to purchase a Maytag Bravos 850 series washer and dryer combo for approx. $1800. We figured investing in a "premium" set of appliances from..."
- "I finally received the childrens learning tablet today, as I suspected its a piece of Garbage lights dont work, scratches, black marks all over it, rust marks in the screw..."
- "I want a refund there's to many scammers on this website and I'm not spending a penny more to varify I'm a real person it said free join in I..."
- "I am very upset because I bought what I thought was a fully cooked rotisserie chicken and it is in fact, half raw. The meat around the bones is..."
- "Be very, very, very cautious of dealing with this company. I will not ever do business with them again. I have been trying to get them to replace a coil..."
- "I have been a long term customer of this business with no problem. The first time I had a problem was when they sent me the wrong product. ..."
- "My son and family have a PMB box in this UPS store. For 3 years, my grandchildren NEVER get their cards I send to them. Gift cards, checks, once cash,..."