Whirlpool - Washer designed for 15 year life...handle fails in 7
We have a Whirlpool Duet washer/dryer combination that we have been totally satisfied with for over six years.My wife has recommended the products to many of our friends who have subsequently bought them.
Recently my wife pointed out that the handle on the washer was loose. It turns out the plastic around one of the screws had cracked as shown in the picture below. It appears to me that this is clearly the result of a design & engineering fault since the top screw is set so closely to the corner. This design defect has resulted in the plastic breaking from the normal stress of opening & closing the door.
It’s ironic that such a minor, but functionally important, part should fail less than half way through the expected service life of the appliance itself. Based on this I fully expected to have the replacement part shipped to me on a no charge basis. I called Whirlpoo; Customer Support to order the part and discovered that they wanted to charge me $31 plus shipping & handling. While I understand that Whirlpool has a one year warranty on parts I believe there should be an exception when the problem results from faulty design and engineering.
I made this point to the Customer Service representative to no avail. I then asked to be escalated to her Manager. He was equally obdurate. When I asked to be transferred to his superior he at first resisted but finally agreed to my request to have him email me the name and contact details as well as his own name.
The response I received did not include any of the information I had asked for. I replied asking for the information I had requested. Incidentally I discovered that consumer complaints for Canadian customers are handled by staff in the U.S. Over two weeks later I received a message saying that they refused to accept any responsibility.
I’ll leave it to you to judge whether this meets the standard for Customer Service support at Whirlpool.It certainly does not meet mine.
More Review Details
- Product or service
- Whirlpool Duet Washing Machine
- Review category
- Appliances and Electronics
You May Also Like
- "I purchased a Whirlpool Gold French Door Refrigerator less than 3 years ago. Model no. 6X2FHDXVB03. Serial no. K02497488. The freezer is located on the bottom. ..."
- "In the fall of 2013, my Whirlpool cooking stove from Lowes was delivered. It came with free installation. We make home-cooked meals, bake bread, and make everything from..."
- "Purchased dish washer 06/08/14 it failed about a month later have been dealing with dealer/ whirlpool was back ordered a month ago delivery 9/17/14 still no part this is 24th..."
- "I want a refund there's to many scammers on this website and I'm not spending a penny more to varify I'm a real person it said free join in I..."
- "I finally received the childrens learning tablet today, as I suspected its a piece of Garbage lights dont work, scratches, black marks all over it, rust marks in the screw..."
- "I am very upset because I bought what I thought was a fully cooked rotisserie chicken and it is in fact, half raw. The meat around the bones is..."
- "Ordered over $100 worth of items on 11/27. Emailed them 3 times now at various email addresses to no avail. Nothing comes back undeliverable so the emails are valid. I..."
- " HP PC's - Urgent - DO NOT BUY - Rubbish After Sales. So the story is, HP agree to pick up my PC for repair when the PC has..."
- "IHole in One International had such bad reviews BBB Bad reviews many of them I considered doing work with hole in one international and looked into their background and i..."