Whirlpool - Washer designed for 15 year life...handle fails in 7

532 of 925 Whirlpool reviews

We have a Whirlpool Duet washer/dryer combination that we have been totally satisfied with for over six years.My wife has recommended the products to many of our friends who have subsequently bought them.

Recently my wife pointed out that the handle on the washer was loose. It turns out the plastic around one of the screws had cracked as shown in the picture below. It appears to me that this is clearly the result of a design & engineering fault since the top screw is set so closely to the corner. This design defect has resulted in the plastic breaking from the normal stress of opening & closing the door.

It’s ironic that such a minor, but functionally important, part should fail less than half way through the expected service life of the appliance itself. Based on this I fully expected to have the replacement part shipped to me on a no charge basis. I called Whirlpoo; Customer Support to order the part and discovered that they wanted to charge me $31 plus shipping & handling. While I understand that Whirlpool has a one year warranty on parts I believe there should be an exception when the problem results from faulty design and engineering.

I made this point to the Customer Service representative to no avail. I then asked to be escalated to her Manager. He was equally obdurate. When I asked to be transferred to his superior he at first resisted but finally agreed to my request to have him email me the name and contact details as well as his own name.

The response I received did not include any of the information I had asked for. I replied asking for the information I had requested. Incidentally I discovered that consumer complaints for Canadian customers are handled by staff in the U.S. Over two weeks later I received a message saying that they refused to accept any responsibility.

I’ll leave it to you to judge whether this meets the standard for Customer Service support at Whirlpool.It certainly does not meet mine.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
532 of 925 Whirlpool reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Post a comment to start a discussion.

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact PissedConsumer.com

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Whirlpool. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

×
You were reading a complaint about Whirlpool.
Filing a new complaint about
×