Guelph, Ontario

We have a Whirlpool Duet washer/dryer combination that we have been totally satisfied with for over six years.My wife has recommended the products to many of our friends who have subsequently bought them.

Recently my wife pointed out that the handle on the washer was loose. It turns out the plastic around one of the screws had cracked as shown in the picture below. It appears to me that this is clearly the result of a design & engineering fault since the top screw is set so closely to the corner. This design defect has resulted in the plastic breaking from the normal stress of opening & closing the door.

It’s ironic that such a minor, but functionally important, part should fail less than half way through the expected service life of the appliance itself. Based on this I fully expected to have the replacement part shipped to me on a no charge basis. I called Whirlpoo; Customer Support to order the part and discovered that they wanted to charge me $31 plus shipping & handling. While I understand that Whirlpool has a one year warranty on parts I believe there should be an exception when the problem results from faulty design and engineering.

I made this point to the Customer Service representative to no avail. I then asked to be escalated to her Manager. He was equally obdurate. When I asked to be transferred to his superior he at first resisted but finally agreed to my request to have him email me the name and contact details as well as his own name.

The response I received did not include any of the information I had asked for. I replied asking for the information I had requested. Incidentally I discovered that consumer complaints for Canadian customers are handled by staff in the U.S. Over two weeks later I received a message saying that they refused to accept any responsibility.

I’ll leave it to you to judge whether this meets the standard for Customer Service support at Whirlpool.It certainly does not meet mine.

Review about: Whirlpool Washing Machine.

Had an Experience with Whirlpool?

Comments

Be the first to start a discussion