We have owned a Whirlpool refrigerator for approx. 18 months. During that time, we had to have a repairman come to work on the ice-in-the-door mechanism several times. He eventually replaced the freezer door. Then the unthinkable happened. We were out of town for one month and returned to the most hideous smell saturating the entire house. The unit had died, and all of the food spoiled, sitting in the heat for up to a month. We lost several hundred dollars worth of groceries. We have the extended warranty, so the repairman came back yet again. He can fix the unit, but as far as we are concerned, it is not worth fixing because we cannot get the smell out. The repairman documented that the odor will not dissipate. We cannot even open the doors without making the house smell all over again. Whirlpool claims no responsibility. The best they can do is offer tips on getting out the smell. The warranty company won't replace the fridge because it is repairable. (It is repairable perhaps, just not usable.) My husband spoke with a customer service rep. in Tennessee who then transferred him to someone in Michigan. This "customer service" rep. refused to let him speak with anyone any higher in their organization. She told him that she was as far as he would get.

The Whirlpool Corporation website contains the following quality statement: "Our promise to our customers: Whirlpool Corporation is committed to building products that consumers around the world can depend on to meet their daily needs. This commitment to quality begins in the concept stages and continues throughout the lifetime of the appliance. The result of these efforts is a sustainable and competitive advantage for the company." I read this statement to the customer service rep. with whom I spoke. She said that Whirlpool is only responsible for their appliances for the one-year manufacturer's warranty and actually said that she would speak with someone about amending that statement online. (I'm pretty sure that's not happening.) I asked her if one year is the lifetime of the appliance. She had no real answer. I explained to her that we are unhappy customers who will never buy Whirlpool products again. I also explained that I would devote my time to posting our story online for others to read. She just repeated that there is nothing they can do.

As far as we are concerned, this quality statement is worthless. We are not satisfied with the quality of the appliance we spent over $1,000 for (not including the $300 extended warranty), but Whirlpool refuses to stand behind their product. We will probably have to purchase a new refrigerator (which we cannot afford), but I can guarantee it will not be anything manufactured by the Whirlpool Corporation.

Review about: Whirlpool Refrigerator.

Had an Experience with Whirlpool?

Comments

WP2008

Hello Marco and Angry Whirlpool Customer: I am sorry about the concerns you have experienced with your appliances.I will need you to contact us with the information I have previously requested to review your files.

Once I have that information, I will look into this further.Sincerely, Melanie.

Marco, good luck with contacting Whirlpool.The only thing they offered us when we contacted them was some sort of rebate, which we never received.

Like we would buy another Whirlpool.Right.

WP2008

Hello Marco.My name is Melanie and I am a representative of Whirlpool.

We apologize about the frustration you have experienced with your refrigerator. If you need further assistance, please provide your name, the site you were contacted on, your user ID name Marco, your phone number, your address, the full model and serial number, and email the requested information to Whirlpool.Digital@whirlpool.com.

We would be happy to review your concerns further.Sincerely, Melanie.

I own a Whirlpool refrigerator, bought in 2005.(I'm writing from Italy).

After one month, we had to file for a warranty claim. They replaced the entire refrigerator unit (pump + some other stuff). Three weeks ago, the refrigerator left us. We called the official assistance, we paid 236 Euros for a died electronic control unit, after one day, the fridge stopped working again.

We called back the assistance, this time he said that some ice formed on the cooling coils which prevented the temperature probe to correctly measure the temperature inside the fridge. The guy fixed the *** thing, 24 hours later (yesterday) the fridge stopped working again, we called again the *** technical service, they told us we have to replace the "display control unit". I'm wondering (as an aerospace engineer and computer addict) what is the connection between a display control unit and the temperature inside the fridge.

This control unit will cost us 86 euros....This time they have to give me the unit working, or I'll go directly to the consumer board to understand if there is any possible action to be taken against the "technical assistance".Of course: never again Whirlpool.

WP2008

Hello Angry Whirlpool Customer.My name is Melanie and I am a representative of Whirlpool.

We apologize about the frustration you have experienced with your refrigerator. If you would like us to look into this further, please provide your name, the site you were contacted on, your user ID name, your phone number, your address, the full model and serial number, and email the requested information to Whirlpool.Digital@whirlpool.com.

We would be happy to review your concerns further.Sincerely, Melanie.

We bought the refrigerator from BrandSmart USA and the extended warranty directly from Whirlpool.

Who did you buy the refrigerator from? Is this the same place you got the extended warranty from?